What Type of Swag You Looking For?

Sunday, March 17, 2013

3 MC's to Watch Out for in 2013...


We're already a 1/3 of the way through 2013 and everyone is setting up to drop their projects for the summer to make some serious cash. There are a lot of legends like Kanye, Jay and Em who are rumored to drop albums this year. There are also heavy hitters like KiD CuDi, Ghostface Killah, ScHoolboy Q and others who are also dropping some anticipated albums. But there are a few MCs out there who are setting themselves up for giant debut albums, and I want to introduce you formally to the guys who will be either killing the radio or killing the rap game in general. 

French Montana

I know what you're thinking.  Hunnnnnhhh! French Montana has made all the right moves. This guy has been found on some major singles like "Stay Scheming" but he's being featured on some unreal joints by guys like Joe Budden, Action Bronson, Machine Gun Kelly, Drake, Wale, Meek Mill, Prodigy of Mobb Deep, Yo Gotti and a slew of others. You see, the homey is aligning himself with a plethora of MCs of different tastes in hip hop. What does that do? Exposure, exposure and exposure!


The guy has a hot sound. Something about his tone of voice is relaxing but at the same time fits perfectly on the beats filled with heavy bass. The whole Coke Boy movement he's got going coming out of New York is doing wonders as well. Signed to Bad Boy, executively produced by Future and Rick Ross...do you see that power movement? The guy started out as a camera man, holding the camera for street videos. Now the guy is continuously on every major radio station in the US. Why? His joints are absolute bangers! "Pop That" with that classic sample from Uncle Luke gets you Turnt Up and then you start getting your dance hall moves down, grinding hard to the Nicki Minaj featuring in "Freaks." The guy is going to be making big moves, whether you like his simple rhymes or not. Regardless, the guy can spit and he knows what he's doing. He is setting himself up for some Coke Boy Money.







Excuse My French drops May 21st, 2013

Joey Bada$$

I have heard of Joey for a minute now. My first memory of him was listening to one of the Pro Era mixtapes, which featured him, Capital STEEZ, CJ Fly and Powers Pleasant. I thought he was pretty nice because he's got some very interesting word play. But I didn't really notice him until I heard his sixteen on the giant posse cut off of A$AP Rocky's album called "1 Train." The track was filled with lyrical giants (Yelawolf, Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown and Big K.R.I.T.) but Joey comes on and, in my opinion, had the hottest 16 on the track.  Pretty good for an 18 year old?



Barely even conscious, talking to my conscience
Gettin' deeper in these flows like conches
I'm on my convict, don't drop bars, I drop prisons
Don't sell rocks seen the spectrum through the prisms
Somehow bypassed the bias and the -isms
The violence and the killin', so given
They seen my pigment and thought that was the ign'ance
Unfortunately I am not that type of niglet
But pass the pot let me skillet
Just got back to the block from a 6 o'clock with Jigga
And I'm thinkin' 'bout signin' to the Roc
But my niggas on the block still assigned to the rocks
And I swear it hurt me soul
I try to prevail, but when I preach it only hurt their sales
Like you're only gon' end up either dead or in jail
But you my nigga, wish you the best for real
Yes, Jay-Z wants to sign him. But that's not the only major label that wants to sign him. In order to remain true to his roots, as well as his fallen comrade Capital STEEZ, he will stay independent. Will that hold him back? I don't believe so. Why? Well, he will maintain his style without any pressure to try to hit mainstream. He is getting some unreal collabos with Big K.R.I.T, DJ Premier, Smoke DZA, Pete Rock and Q-Tip. His incredible lyrical repertoire has definitely grabbed the attention of many hip hop pundits, who have labelled him as the next big thing out of New York. And it's been a minute since Nas, Jay-Z and 50.  Fuse has labelled him as one of the Top 30 Up and Comers to see at SXSW this year. If you haven't heard of the kid yet, get familiar. Or else you will miss out...

Enter The Void ft. Ab-Soul

His debut album will drop this year, as he is currently looking for a distribution deal.




Pusha T

He's yo Pusha! 1/2 of The Clipse, one of my personal favorite hip hop groups. Instead of writing something about him, I'm just going to let his music speak for itself. Signed to G.O.O.D. Music. Considered one of the most lyrical dudes in the game right now. And not afraid to get at the most popular dudes in the game (The whole Young Money crew) and win. Re-Up Gang, G.O.O.D. Music...GET FAMILIAR!








My Name is My Name drops May 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment